Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Second practice making cordage

I was out, actually with the intent of foraging for this coming weeks food needs, but got side-tracked. I was right by the river, which really drowned out any sound of traffic, I love when that happens. Again, I used the same type of reed grass, like my first try.

The picture shows the three twisted pieces I patiently twisted together. It isn't the ideal cordage material, because one end is thicker than the other. From just these few tries i find that too stiff or too thin a material doesn't work as easily. It does work, but it takes times and for me the sound of the rushing water helped.

I say this here, i have never braided anything in my many years of life...until today. I had looked at the steps in a knotting book (which i didn't have with me, but really didn't need either). With my three cords I wondered how to start, then remembered that knotting the three ends together was the way to go. I used the fingers on my left hand to hold the knotted end, while I moved the three strands over each other and my left thumb to help keep the left cord taut.

Below is the finished product, i have to say it came out pretty good. I think the next step for cordage, is to be able to splice short pieces together and then braid them. Once i can splice I'll move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment