Saturday, April 17, 2010

Great Finds!

On cold blustery Spring days in Ohio, when i find myself out, it is usually in a bookstore. Today was no different, oh and what treasures I did find. I found two books on subjects I'm very interested, and could be applied to self-sufficiency. The first is homebrew Windpower, one i had seen in the ad of my magazines, such a great find. The other was a book on plank boat making, like the old vessels were made.

I think its obvious why the homebrew wind book is such a great find. The satisfaction of making something that will pay you back, its the whole argument some of us have for what we do or want to do.

The boat book, might be a bit odd, unless you are into boats, which I'm not. I can't say I'm much of a water person, I don't fear it. I respect water for everything it provides for us and for the power it wields agaisnt us--as much as the other elements. I guess it was the idea of bending wood to create these boats, that cuaght me by the toe some time ago. I can't remember where I saw it, but i had heard of some guy who built a small ark on his building in New York...not sure on where. Imagine building a old boat with your hands, set in a field of green. Life in a boat that never saw water...it just sets my mind racing, like the whimsy of a treehouse for adults.

There's another idea, of making a dome of shaped planks over a framework based on primitive huts. It would be like a wooden beehive for humans, that might connect to an earthbag dome. Then rope bridges up through the trees to a small treehouse and then to your very own ark.

Not I use ark, because we know what size of boat that might be, but i'm not referring to it in the biblical sense. The boy in me, wears his pagan heart on his sleeve with one foot still in the broomcloset for only a few to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment